[Massplanners] mowing requirements

Corrin Meise-Munns cmeisemunns at longmeadow.org
Mon Jul 15 08:41:48 EDT 2024

Hi all,

Thanks for the robust conversation. I was on vacation last week and am back
reviewing responses now. Firstly, I want to clarify that Longmeadow
*already* has these regulations in place -- I am trying to find ways to
rewrite and amend them to accommodate the sentiments I am seeing that I
share with many of you, while making my Code Enforcement's team job easier
and more defensible. To Danielle McKnight's point, I am sure no one who is
passingly familiar with our town is surprised that this is an issue in
Longmeadow, and that residents here seemingly want the Town to enforce
aesthetic regulations such as lawn height requirements. Danielle -- I was
almost blushing when I sent the original question to the listserv!

For what it's worth, Longmeadow did pass an outdoor water use bylaw last
year that was meant to address excessive irrigation of lawns, which is
reducing our ability to respond to fires due to drops in volume and
pressure in our water tower. It was a huge controversy at Town Meeting and
it was essentially stripped to a barebones shell before it passed.
According to DEP, Longmeadow is the #2 per capita water user in all of
Massachusetts -- largely due to our huge lawn sizes and irrigation. So,
Longmeadow loves its lawns.

It's sounding to me like this is something that many MA communities haven't
dealt with in their zoning code (unsurprising). Since some people seem
interested, I will share any best practices I discover regarding sensible
and environmentally friendly regulations around lawn conversations and
grass height.

Best,
Corrin