[Massplanners] Unpaving paradise

Jeffrey Robert Levine jrlevine at mit.edu
Tue Jan 2 15:30:18 EST 2024

Rob-

Portland (ME) took a parking lot downtown and turned it into a park. It had previously been the OId Post Office, was converted to parking for Federal employees in the 1960’s<https://www.portlandlandmarks.org/old-post-office>, and then into a great urban open space in 1993. Post Office Square gets tons of use, it’s hard to imagine the area without it (and it’s right across the street from another park, but they both are generally busy.)

A good version of the story here.<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Watf1LLWtQ>

In response to concerns about parking downtown, when I was with the City we commissioned a downtown parking study<https://www.scribd.com/document/382103324/Parking> that concluded the issue was mostly parking management, not supply. The City also does an annual parking survey<https://www.portlandmaine.gov/asset/f0e5f8de-c1d2-4a45-8235-810804482515> of downtown garages that provides good data. But it’s an ongoing issue.

Jeff

Jeff Levine, AICP (he/him)
Lecturer of Economic Development and Planning
Program Head, Housing, Community & Economic Development
Department of Urban Studies & Planning
Room 9-511
jrlevine at mit.edu<mailto:jrlevine at mit.edu>
Personal Zoom Room: https://mit.zoom.us/my/jeff.levine