[Massplanners] Planning Budget Question

Katrina O'leary katrina.oleary at middletonma.gov
Tue Jan 2 08:36:21 EST 2024

Good morning.
I have a budget question concerning the Planning Department budget.  In Middleton, my budget is broken into three separate budgets for Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, and Master Plan Committee.  When I began here my salary was also split between the budgets - but about 8 years ago I had it all moved into Planning Board to simplify payroll.  I have several part timers and recording secretaries that are paid out of the separate budgets.  It does get confusing and it makes reconciling the budget each month more cumbersome.
I've been told that the Uniform Mass Accounting System (UMAS) recommends these different budgets so that all revenues and expenses can be reported to the State.  The Chairs of the different boards/committees have nothing to do with the budget - I sign off on all expenses and payrolls coming out of their budgets.

Do most of you have your Planning Department budgets split into smaller budgets like this?  We're a town of less than 10,000, so my department is me and a couple of part time administrative assistants.

Any tips/tricks to streamline the budget while adhering to the UMAS is welcome.

Katrina O'Leary, AICP
Middleton Town Planner
195 North Main Street     Middleton, MA   01949     PH: (978)777-8917
When responding, please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State has determined that most email is public record and, therefore, cannot be kept confidential.