[Massplanners] Family definition

Jamie Webb jwebb at easthamptonma.gov
Thu Feb 29 15:10:23 EST 2024

Hi all,
We are working to reduce bias present in our zoning ordinance and are
looking at the definition of *Family*. How have other communities dealt
with revising this definition? If you have a good definition of family in
your ordinance, please share.

Currently, our ordinance seems to be biased against nontraditional
housekeeping units and would seem to have a disparate impact on
nontraditional families, immigrants, foster care households, etc. Our
current definition of *Family* is:
"A number of individuals related by blood, marriage, and/or adoption or a
group of unrelated individuals not to exceed four (4) who are occupying a
dwelling unit and living as a single nonprofit housekeeping unit. This
definition, however, does not apply to non-related disabled persons as
defined by any applicable federal and/or state law and/or regulations."

Thank you!

Jamie Webb
Senior Planner
City of Easthampton - Planning Department
50 Payson Avenue, Easthampton, MA 01027
413.529.1405  /  Website <https://easthamptonma.gov/176/Planning>  /
Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/Easthampton-Planning-Department-380076865424358>
*Please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State considers e-mail
to be a public record subject to the provisions of the MA Public Records
Law, MGL ch. 66. *