[Massplanners] FW: Zoning and housing units on Church Properties

Daniel Fortier daniel.j.fortier at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 23:14:18 EDT 2024

Thanks! So, we can assume a court battle under Chapter 40 Section 3 for
religious entities building zoning exempt housing on Church properties. The
linked paper, below, suggests the Religious Land Uses and Institionalized
Persons Act (RLUIPA) could provide enough of an argument.  Since RLUIPA and
the Dover Amendment dovetail nicely, maybe a case can be made for these
type of projects.

https://www.yalelawjournal.org/feature/churching-nimbys

Maybe we should be promoting the Yes In God's Backyard slogan to get
housing built. The Yale Law Journal article is from February 2024, so
fairly new thinking. It looks like the test is that the Church firmly
believes that providing shelter, whether short-term (homeless shelter) or
longer term (senior housing, affordable housing,  mixed income housing) is
a part of their religious mission, then it would fit the RLUIPA test and
probably Dover Amendment.

Daniel Fortier, AICP Retired Planner