[Massplanners] Drone regulations, RE: Planning and Conservation

John Fay Jr jfay at cobma.us
Wed Sep 6 12:08:44 EDT 2023

Hello planners,

Our city is looking to get more serious about enforcement activities, and I
am looking for case law [or other sufficient legal rationales] regarding
the use of drones in both planning-related activities which rarely result
in some sort of enforcement, but also for Conservation and possible
differentiation between regular inspections of waterways vs. being called
out to an explicit address/infraction.

Thus far I've found a "State and Local Regulation of Unmanned Aircraft
Systems (UAS) Fact Sheet", created in 2015 by the FAA, so I am unsure of
its currentness. Likewise, I found a Fordham Law Journal piece about
Warrantless Operations of Public Use Drones, though it is similarly out of
date by 5+ years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*John Fay (He/Him) *

*Senior Planner*

City of Brockton

Dept. of Planning and Economic Development

45 School Street

Brockton, MA 02301

[508] 580-7113

*Book time with me* <https://doodle.com/bp/johnfay/book-time-with-john>

*When writing or responding, please remember that the Secretary of the
Commonwealth of Massachusetts has determined that email is a public record.
The information contained in this electronic communication is intended to
be sent only to the stated recipient and may contain information that is
CONFIDENTIAL, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure under the
applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient
or the intended recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of the information is strictly
prohibited.*