[Massplanners] Maintenance of Common Spaces

Fiona Coughlan coughlanf at Grafton-MA.Gov
Tue Oct 10 11:53:30 EDT 2023

Hello MassPlanners,

In recent months, additional maintenance created by new subdivisions and other types of development have put a strain on our Town's DPW. The common areas that fall within what is, or will become, Town property when the private way becomes public is becoming such an issue that our TA's office has issued a new policy. The issue is poised to worsen with the upcoming growth we are seeing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to enforce something like this and best practices for our regulatory boards? We wish to keep Grafton beautiful, but don't' have the human capital, budget, or equipment.

Should the options simply be: 1) that residents maintain the areas themselves; or 2) that there should be a HOA fee (or something similar) written into the conditions to fund future landscape maintenance?

Thanks,

[cid:image001.png at 01D9FB6F.78A2FF30]

Fiona Coughlan, AICP
Town Planner
Planning Department
Town of Grafton
508-839-5335 x 1402
coughlanf at grafton-ma.gov<mailto:coughlanf at grafton-ma.gov>
Website: Grafton-ma.gov<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.grafton-2Dma.gov_&d=DwMFaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=aWpJuYIYLyO12_duLKvVAVdhjVu23gb2hG6o6S56IDo&m=d2-iJNoUND6uJwWUCjWHqYjn-bN_LuLlkfDeuvDXeW4&s=RBwm97Mqrrs5dPqghEnr7uLTu34WDRSMMNVy41gftKA&e=>
Facebook: Town of Grafton, MA<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_TownofGraftonMA_&d=DwMFaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=aWpJuYIYLyO12_duLKvVAVdhjVu23gb2hG6o6S56IDo&m=d2-iJNoUND6uJwWUCjWHqYjn-bN_LuLlkfDeuvDXeW4&s=S05TiM-laISVaSrGjcxwIcvpzVEPE8hPQVWVBabyLfQ&e=>
Twitter: @TownofGraftonMA<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_townofgraftonma-3Flang-3Den&d=DwMFaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=aWpJuYIYLyO12_duLKvVAVdhjVu23gb2hG6o6S56IDo&m=d2-iJNoUND6uJwWUCjWHqYjn-bN_LuLlkfDeuvDXeW4&s=dBce33IK8WTN0PeScsJqdU-5qtAmPBqPT83VhxWaL0E&e=>

MUNICIPAL CENTER HOURS
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8:30 - 4:30
Tuesday:  8:30 - 7:00
Friday:      8:30 - 1:00