[Massplanners] Murals and Zoning

Hagerty, Casey chagerty at cityofwoburn.com
Tue May 23 10:39:30 EDT 2023

Good Morning,

I am curious if anyone has any insight into fitting murals into their sign bylaws. Woburn has taken the stance that all murals are signs regardless of the content. That has made it hard to encourage murals and has upset a few property owners who were interested in doing one.

Do any of your zoning codes or sign bylaws address murals? I am working to update our zoning code to allow for them and am looking for examples from other communities.

Thanks for your help!
Casey

Casey Hagerty
Economic Development Manager
Woburn City Hall
10 Common Street
Woburn, MA  01801
781-897-5816

NOTICE: Although specific privileges may apply, which could make a particular email correspondence confidential; in most instances any transmission through the municipal email system is considered a public document subject to the requirements of M.G.L. c.66. This means that any emails sent to or from a city email address ARE NOT PRIVATE and are subject to public records requests and dissemination. Please do not send private, sensitive information via email. This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.