[Massplanners] Planning Board Review of Municipal Projects

Tim Czerwienski tczerwienski at townofmilton.org
Mon May 22 12:17:55 EDT 2023

Good afternoon,

How do your Planning Boards/zoning bylaws handle the review of municipal projects (fire stations, sports fields, schools, etc)? A part of our high school sports complex is being reconstructed, with a grass field being replaced by artificial turf, new lighting, and amphitheater-style seating being built into a bit of adjacent topography. Aside from the ongoing debate over environmental concerns about artificial turf, some members of the community are questioning why the Planning Board hasn't reviewed this project, which could have parking impacts, light trespass, and noise impacts.

Our zoning bylaw allows municipal uses in all residential zones; there are no parking requirements in the bylaw for recreational uses; and our site plan review provisions only apply to multifamily and commercial construction. The Planning Board will often informally offer comments and recommendations on town building projects, but there is no formal mechanism. Is this typical?

Tim Czerwienski, AICP
Director of Planning & Community Development
Town of Milton | 525 Canton Avenue | Milton, Mass. 02186 | 617-898-4847