[Massplanners] Accessory Structures to Accessory Dwelling Units

Jeff Lacy ruralplanningassociates at crocker.com
Thu May 18 08:29:02 EDT 2023

Anne:

Great question. Not sure our bylaw addresses it.

In the absence of contradictory enabling language in the local bylaw, one way to look at it would be to say that accessory structures, in order to be accessory, must be subordinate to a principal structure. So, garages, porches, sheds, etc. must be accessory to the principal structure only. A detached accessory apartment is itself accessory, so wouldn’t qualify.

Jeff Lacy
Rural Planning Associates
(413) 230-9693

Sent from my iPhone