[Massplanners] Request for information re zoning for battery energy storage systems

Thomas Bott tbott.townplanner at verizon.net
Thu Mar 23 18:47:07 EDT 2023

Dear Current Consumers of Electricity (you know who you are):

The Town of Carver is bringing a BESS (Battery EnergyStorage System) Article to Town Meeting using the “BESS” Practices of Medway tweaked by the Solarand Battery Storage Moratoria Study Committee. The Solar moratorium passed on acitizen petition at a briefly packed Town Meeting was eventually not approvedby the AG.

Although it says Cranberry Land USA on the business cards inaddition to hosting some twenty large scale solar projects (LSGMSPI) Carver also hosts thesecond largest electrical substation in the Commonwealth, after Medway’s flex. In2019 the Carver Planning Board approved a 150 MW Battery Storage facilityimmediately adjacent to the aforementioned  2nd place substation.  I understand that it costs about $3 million amile to run lines to connect a facility with a capacity greater than 1MWh.

In Carver theyadded an additional Tier (that middle child shown below).

2. A battery energy storage system that is subject to this bylaw is classified as a Tier1, Tier 2 or Tier3 Battery Energy Storage System as follows:

 a) Tier 1 Battery Energy Storage Systems havean aggregate energy capacity less than 0.5MWh and, if in a room or enclosed area, consistof only a single energy storage system technology.

 b)Tier 2 Battery Energy Storage Systems have an aggregate energy capacity equal to or greater than 0.5 MWh but less than 1MWH or are comprisedof more than one storage battery technology in a room or enclosed area.

c) Tier 3 Battery Energy Storage Systems havean aggregate energy capacity greater than 1MWh or are comprised of more thanone storage battery technology in a room or enclosed area.

I also spoke to some folks at https://www.epri.com/ an independent non-profit energyresearch, development, and deployment organization founded in 1972 that mydaughter referred me to. Some of you may know that my daughter is a ChemE workingin the sustainable energy biz who doesn’t outwardly mind speaking to dinosaurslike me about trying to eliminate fossil fuels.

 Links to some of the Carver info below.

https://www.carverma.gov/planning-board/news/zoning-law-hearings-2023

https://www.carverma.gov/home/solarbattery-storage-moratorium-study-committee
Following the Planning Board hearings recommending the new BESS bylaw Ithanked our good friends in Medway sending them an edible arrangement.

It’s was under $50 and no tax dollar were used, the card reads:

Onbehalf of a grateful Cranberry Land USA. Thanks for leading the charge on ourbest BESS effort in particular the part where there was no charge.

Peaceand Love,

TBott

 For those inquiring minds the arrangement was from Edible Arrangements,not from Capeway Cannabis.

I do my BESS to give props (do they still say “props?”)  to them whose tides lifts all our boats.
TBott
Thomas Bott Carver StegoPlanner

You too could follow me on Twitter @TBottPlimoth but it clearly isn’t necessary