[Massplanners] EV Parking

Carolyn Britt cjbritt at comcast.net
Wed Mar 1 21:36:16 EST 2023

Jacki,

You have an option other than changing zoning. The newly available
"specialized" stretch building code, if adopted at Town Meeting, will
require that 20% of the parking spaces for multi-family developments
have charging, and that a sf home be wired for 1 charger. I highly
recommend that any community adopt the new specialized stretch code as
it offers other key improvements that improve buildings and reduce GHG
emissions.

We have found with our Chevy Bolt that it can take 8 hours to fully
charge it, so I don't think you should plan on cars moving during the
work day unless you install the much faster Level 3 charger that can
almost fully charge a battery in just under an hour.

Get back to me if you have any more questions.

Carolyn Britt, AICP

Member, Ipswich Planning Board and Climate Resiliency Committee

1 Shagbark Woods

Ipswich, MA 01938

978-317-2145