[Massplanners] Zoning amendment hearings

Richard Harris rhplanner01075 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 11:21:51 EDT 2023

The Select Board role in the Zoning Map amendment process is principally to
refer the request to the PB for a public hearing. The Planning Board makes
a report to Town Meeting. The SB is also responsible for setting the TM
warrant including the amendment request.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 8:51 AM William Cole via MassPlanners <
massplanners at masscptc.org> wrote:

> When a developer/landowner sponsors a rezoning of parcels from
> Ag/Residential to Industrial (in order to allow a major industrial project)
> and presents an overall proposal to a Town Select Board, who holds the
> hearings?  It seems to me that C 40 s 5 states the the SB needs to forward
> the rezoning proposal to the Planning Board within 21 days and for the PB
> to then post and hold the required public hearing.  But some are of the
> mind that hearings for the whole proposal (the industrial use and the
> rezoning amendment) are the responsibility of the SB.  Leading to a Town
> vote of course.  Guidance appreciated.
>
> Bill Cole
> PB
> Hardwick MA