[Massplanners] table of uses

Bob Mitchell mitchellfaicp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 12:28:00 EST 2023

Stephen: There is no statutory language related to this topic. If a
town/city wants to make this its policy it should adopt specific
language to this effect into its zoning bylaw/ordinance. Communities
treat this topic differently. Some prohibit uses not listed in the bylaw,
some towns assign the responsibility to the judgement of the building
inspector, or maybe the zba, to allow the use in its most "related"
category in the table of uses and I assume some towns have other provisions
as to how they treat this situation.

It is up to each individual town to decide how it wants to deal with this
situation and then adopt appropriate language into its bylaw.

Bob

Bob Mitchell FAICP
Planning Consultant
Land Use, Planning, Zoning, & Training Programs
151 Tremont Street Suite 23A
Boston, MA 02111
617-512-9751 (c)
MitchellFAICP at gmail.com