[Massplanners] MGL CH. 58, Sec. 8C – Tax Agreements for Affordable Housing Developers

Eric Smith esmith at townofathol.org
Tue Jan 24 10:03:04 EST 2023

Good Morning Mass. Planners,

Recently our Assessors brought to my attention a new tax agreement provision for affordable housing projects that none of us ever heard of before.  It's identified in a July 2021 MA DOR, Informational Guideline Release document (IGR No. 21-21)   And it is of interest, as Athol is looking to adopt this provision, which is MGL CH. 58, Sec. 8C (IGR No. 21-21)– Tax Agreements for Affordable Housing Developers.

The Athol Assessors would like to know which, if any, Cities or Towns have adopted this local option.    So far we only know that Belchertown is working on utilizing this provision for a manufactured home community.

Thanks in advance.
Eric

Eric R. Smith, AICP

Director of Planning and Development