[Massplanners] Articles on MBTA Communities zoning law

Amy Dain dainresearch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 12:26:07 EST 2023

To the planning community of MA:

It looks like 2023 will be a big year in zoning reform and housing policy
-- BUSY times for planners. It isn't just that there will be a lot of
meetings and hearings and drafts, but also emotions run high on this topic.
At public meetings, I've heard terms like betrayal and war lobbed at the
idea of new housing. At the same time, more activists and civic leaders are
turning out to support TOD, housing, walkability, 15-minute neighborhoods.
Hang in there, planners, I appreciate your work balancing a lot of
different agendas, expectations, and requirements.

I am very interested to hear your thoughts on the MBTA Communities zoning
law, and to learn how your communities are addressing the new requirements.

To help with public education on the new law, *I wrote a series of five
articles* (see below) that highlight different aspects of it. I got support
from the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy to write the series.

The audience for the articles is not professional planners who live and
breathe this stuff every day. It is for local activists, volunteer planning
board members, city councilors, town meeting members who may become
involved in zoning reform, but haven't had the chance to read the
implementation guidelines and attend webinars. Feel free to forward any of
these to potentially interested parties:

*1. What is zoning capacity? *
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/opinion/what-the-mbta-communities-law-means-for-your-town/

*2. What does 15/units per gross acre mean? *
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/opinion/solving-the-mbta-communities-zoning-puzzle/

*3. What is by-right zoning, and why is the state promoting it? *
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/opinion/seeking-predictable-permitting-for-new-housing/

*4. Where should new multi-family housing go? *
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/opinion/where-should-new-multi-family-housing-go/

*5. What does it mean to zone for family-suitable multi-family housing? *
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/opinion/overcoming-the-restrictions-on-multi-family-housing/

All of these articles --and more-- can be found on my website:
www.dainresearch.com

My writing and analysis of these topics is always a work-in-progress. I am
always learning, and you all are the experts. I welcome your feedback on
the articles, and your insights.

Thank you again for your work!

Amy Dain
Dain Research