[Massplanners] RFI: Municipal Project for a Community Growth & Planning Course at MIT

Jeffrey Robert Levine jrlevine at mit.edu
Wed Feb 15 12:06:39 EST 2023

Do you have an interesting planning project related to growth issues in your community and no time (or money) to get it done?

Every two years I teach a practicum called Community Growth and Land Use Planning<https://dusp-archive.mit.edu/subject/fall-2021-11360>. This is a long-standing class here, previously taught by Karl Seidman and Terry Szold, among others. I'll be teaching it again in Fall 2023 and I'm putting out a call for potential partner communities.

The class is based on working with a municipality on a planning issue facing them related to growth and equity. I'll manage a group of 8 or so graduate students as they act as a consulting team for the municipality (and/or a non-profit partner,) exploring a growth-related issue and drafting recommendations on ways to address them. The focus is often on revisions to zoning but can also involve other public and non-profit actions to best prepare for growth.

In 2021, we worked with the City of Medford on issues of housing affordability<https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5pn6lyx80zh4rs/Report%20for%2011.360%20Fall%202019%20End%20of%20Term.pdf?dl=0> as they prepared for the Green Line Extension. In 2019, we worked with the Town of Arlington on their Broadway corridor<https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5pn6lyx80zh4rs/Report%20for%2011.360%20Fall%202019%20End%20of%20Term.pdf?dl=0>. The project can be place-based or policy-based, or a combination of both.

If you're interested in potentially working with a great group of students under professional supervision, send me a brief email about what you would potentially want them to work on. I'm particularly interested in projects that address growth issues and touch on one or more of our Departmental priorities: achieving racial justice, addressing the climate crisis, closing the wealth gap, & achieving multiracial democracy.

Happy to answer any questions!

Jeff Levine, AICP (he/him)
Lecturer of Economic Development and Planning
Program Head, Housing, Community & Economic Development
Department of Urban Studies & Planning
Room 9-511
jrlevine at mit.edu<mailto:jrlevine at mit.edu>
Personal Zoom Room: https://mit.zoom.us/my/jeff.levine