[Massplanners] Reasonable Accommodations from Zoning for Disabled Persons

Sarah Raposa medfield.planner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 12:05:27 EST 2023

Planners, I am posting for a friend doing research on reasonable
accommodations from the zoning ordinance/by-law for disabled persons under
federal fair housing and anti-discrimination laws.

Some communities appear to have adopted a formal policy with forms and
guidelines (New Bedford and San Diego County for example). I'm looking for
any communities that have dealt with a request from a disabled person for a
reasonable accommodation, where there is a process or where there is no
formal process in place.
Most importantly, who makes the determination and decision to grant the
reasonable accommodations?  Most communities where I found a policy in
place allow the Building Commissioner to make that decision and issue the
building permit.  That building permit can then be appealed to the ZBA by
an aggrieved abutter.    Who makes that initial decision on granting a
request for r/s accommodation in your community – Zoning Board of Appeals,
Building Commissioner, Planning Director?
If folks know of written policies or bylaws/ordinances that spell it out
please send them along and if you could also share how those policies were
created, much appreciated!

Thank you all,
Sarah

Sarah Raposa, AICP