[Massplanners] developer funded escrow accounts - allowed use

Richard Harris rhplanner01075 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 13:35:02 EST 2023

Good Afternoon,

I think it depends on the nature of legal advice you are seeking. For
instance, under 53G, outside consultants are routinely employed to review
an applicant's submittal and  provide an evaluation of completeness and
validity - were the traffic analyses performed correctly? Are there
outstanding stormwater issues? etc.

I have seen legal counsel employed to review an applicant's proposed
easements and related legal submissions. But, if the legal advice you are
seeking is to challenge whether the applicant is legally entitled to an
approval, then I would expect an applicant to object.

We have had that request made in a prior employment and the applicant
objected and Town Counsel advised not to pursue it.

Thank you

Richard Harris, AICP
PDR, LLC
Planning Consultant