[Massplanners] Re limits to bedrooms in ADUs

Pam Kueber pkueber at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 10:58:29 EDT 2023

Late to the party here. I think that Jeff is correct - ADUs are 'accessory'
not principal.

Found this research
<https://ma-smartgrowth.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ADU-MSGA-Pioneer-paper-2018.pdf>;
appears the Attorney General is approving bedroom # limits within zoning
bylaws:

Bedrooms. Fifteen of the municipalities regulate the number of bedrooms
> that can be in an ADU. The most frequent requirement is no more than two
> bedrooms. In Acton, ADUs included in the same building as the primary
> dwelling unit can have no more than two bedrooms, but ADUs in detached
> structures can have three bedrooms. In Carlisle, on lots less than three
> acres, the maximum number of bedrooms in an ADU is two. In Littleton, ADUs
> can have no more than two bedrooms, except by special permit. For ADUs
> attached to the primary dwelling in Hamilton and Ipswich, there can be no
> more than one bedroom.

Pam Kueber
Lenox Planning Board