[Massplanners] [EXTERNAL] Virtual Executive Session

Michael McCarthy Michael.McCarthy at newbedford-ma.gov
Thu Aug 3 11:00:41 EDT 2023

Hi Colleen,

We have always run our Zoom PB meetings as meetings and have never run into much of an issue with people speaking outside of the public comment period. It does require staff to be quick on the mute button every once in a while, but we start each meeting with a disclaimer that we will mute people if they are unknowingly unmuted or at the chair’s request. I find it less chaotic than in-person meetings! Our PB rarely uses executive sessions but I imagine the breakout rooms feature in meetings would be the best way to achieve this in Zoom.

You did make me think that Zoom webinar is better suited to how we use it though.

Mike McCarthy
Asst. City Planner
New Bedford