[Massplanners] Percentage of Non Residential in Mixed Use Districts

Schreiber, Gideon gschreiber at watertown-ma.gov
Thu Apr 27 12:05:54 EDT 2023

We have one requirement in our CB zone that allows no more than 15% of the ground floor to be used for residential specific use.  Shared spaces like lobbies and bathrooms open to the businesses would not be counted.  We have another district PSCD-2 where the goal was to have more commercial in general so the s.f. is based on the total gross s.f. of the project.  That district requires 15% of the total gross s.f. be commercial but does not specific how or where that space is located.  I think having only a percent can be somewhat difficult since it does not relate to actual s.f. needed to create successful commercial spaces.

Gideon Schreiber, AICP, Assistant Director of Planning
Community Development & Planning
City of Watertown, 149 Main Street, Watertown, MA 02472
(617) 972-6417 then press 1 and then 3

When responding, please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State has determined that most email is public record and therefore cannot be kept confidential.