[Massplanners] Playground Definition

Katrina O'leary katrina.oleary at middletonma.gov
Wed Apr 12 10:10:41 EDT 2023

Hello,
Middleton allows playgrounds "by right" in all districts; however, our zoning bylaw definitions do not define what a "playground" is.  We have received an application for Site Plan approval in a commercial zone that contains a "playground area" on the site of several permitted food trucks (permitted as restaurants because our definition of restaurant does not specify that the use is required to be in a building).  The proposal is to use this "playground area" to install temporary installments such as dunk tanks, bouncy houses, and skating rinks.  The owner proposes to conduct "corporate events" on the site.

The playground use is listed in our zoning use table under the following:
Allowed by right in all zoning districts: "Parks, playgrounds, conservation areas, water supply areas, or land owned and operated for the public enjoyment or service by a public or semipublic entity."
Zoning bylaw: https://ecode360.com/10440524

I'm looking for feedback on: 1.  How other municipalities define "playground," and 2.  How others define zoning terms that are not included in the definition section - does the Zoning Code Enforcement Agent or the ZBA define the term or is there another method of interpreting undefined zoning terms?

Our zoning bylaw does state that terms not defined in the bylaw, but defined in the Mass state building code shall have the meaning therein, etc.  However, the building code does not contain a definition for playground.

We do have plans to fix our zoning bylaw's deficiencies in the next year.

Katrina O'Leary, AICP
Middleton Town Planner
195 North Main Street     Middleton, MA   01949     PH: (978)777-8917
When responding, please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State has determined that most email is public record and, therefore, cannot be kept confidential.