[Massplanners] Inclusionary Zoning questions

Jeffrey Robert Levine jrlevine at mit.edu
Tue Sep 13 09:49:18 EDT 2022

I often use the Lincoln Institute resources; they are very good. ULI also has a good report here:

https://uli.org/wp-content/uploads/ULI-Documents/Economics-of-Inclusionary-Zoning.pdf

In my experience, it should apply to all development over a certain size, and ideally be a new type of Special Permit to ensure that the compliance strategy is thought through (and to give staff the support of a board.) You don't want to have too much staff discretion or developers will try to argue their way out of the requirement, especially when it's new.

I don't recommend making the AMI requirements too complicated. Start with something simple, like all 80% AMI or 50/50 60%/80% AMI.

I have found that early on, most developers use a fee in lieu, especially in condo projects. So set it at a high enough level that you will be able to produce the units. Remember that you can leverage those fees in lieu, so ideally each fee for a unit can be used to help fund several units in combination with other funding sources.

Finally, and you didn't ask this, don't set the initial percentage too high (or too low.) This is an internal subsidy for the units and at first it will be hard for developments to adjust. Over time, there's a fair amount of research that land values adjust down to absorb the cost, but that takes time.

Good luck. I think a good IZ policy is a great way to leverage private development and help address affordability issues.

Jeff

Jeff Levine, AICP (he/him)
Lecturer in Housing, Community & Economic Development
Department of Urban Studies & Planning
Room 9-511
jrlevine at mit.edu<mailto:jrlevine at mit.edu>
Personal Zoom Room: https://mit.zoom.us/my/jeff.levine