[Massplanners] MBTA Communities compliance questions

Tim Czerwienski tczerwienski at townofmilton.org
Thu Sep 8 10:23:36 EDT 2022

Good morning, planners!

I gave a briefing to my Select Board last night on the final guidelines for compliance with the MBTA Communities Zoning law. They requested some information about how other towns are approaching compliance. I put together a few hopefully brief questions below. I'd appreciate it if you let me know what your community is planning.

No need to reply all to the list. If folks are interested, I can put together a little report on the results and share it with everyone. Please don't respond with any information or conversations that you're not comfortable being shared with the list or discussed publicly.

  1.  Have you briefed your elected leadership on the final guidelines issued by DHCD?
  2.  Has your municipality's elected leadership taken an explicit position on its intention to either comply or not comply with the MBTA Communities law?
     *   If yes, what is that position?
  3.  Do you intend to seek technical assistance to help draft compliant zoning?
     *   If yes, have you applied for grant funding or do you intend to use budget resources?
  4.  What, if any, challenges do you anticipate in both drafting and passing compliant zoning?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tim Czerwienski, AICP
Director of Planning & Community Development
Town of Milton | 525 Canton Avenue | Milton, Mass. 02186 | 617-898-4847