[Massplanners] Recodification of Zoning Code - Recent costs

Lois Barbour lsbarbour at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:23:39 EDT 2022

Hi,

Norwell used General Code and was very pleased with the work. The original quote (from 2015) was around $15,000. However, the Town had an active Bylaw Review Committee of which I was Vice Chair. The warrant articles, approving recodification only, passed at Town Meeting in 2019. The committee did not recommend any bylaw amendments, other than edits and reorganization of some sections.

The BLRC was very active and included a former chair of the Planning Board, a Planning Board member, and me. There were also other members, representing boards/commissions/departments that offered technical advice. We put together a Table of Contents (not as simple as I originally thought it would be. We gave pertinent sections to the relevant authorities/departments for input. BLRC members read each section multiple times over the term the committee was active. We recodified both the general and zoning bylaws, although the committee I was on originally started as zoning only. However, we soon realized that the general bylaw informed zoning and couldn’t be done by a separate group of people (that the Select Board was unable to populate). If you use volunteers, you need to make sure you have knowledgeable people, who care about detail. It is a lengthy and time-consuming process.

General Code reviewed the Town/Zoning bylaw and also looked at board Rules, included in the original quote. I think we might have had add-ons to the original contract, maybe in the $2-3,000 range. However, you should be aware there is an additional fee to incorporate any changes approved at your annual town meeting after the final revision has been submitted to keep that document up-to-date. I think the charge varies, depending upon how much needs to be changed.

Norwell’s eCode: https://ecode360.com/no3677 <https://ecode360.com/no3677>

I would definitely recommend getting a quote from them. They have many clients in Massachusetts, which is why Norwell selected that firm.

Good luck!

Lois S. Barbour, Chair
Norwell Board of Appeals