[Massplanners] Open Space / Natural Resource Protection bylaws, Ma Smart Growth

Heidi Ricci hricci at massaudubon.org
Wed Oct 26 16:36:20 EDT 2022

Hi Rachel and all

Here is what I have for a list of OSRD/NRPZ by-right communities.  I'm sure it is incomplete, and if anyone knows of others please share with me so I can add to the list.

I agree with Jeff's points about cluster vs. NRPZ although the state in their model uses the terms somewhat interchangeably.  The key point here is by-right rather than special permit.  Lots of communities have adopted some form of OSRD, Cluster, Conservation Subdivision, etc. with requirements for a Special Permit.  Often those bylaws are not used much, since the certainty of the by-right subdivision approach is understandably preferred from a business perspective.

I've heard more times than I can count about community reluctance to adopt OSRD or NRPZ by-right.  Once people understand that if they want development to preserve some useful open space and not consume every available square foot of upland, they need to make that the by-right permitting path, that has tended to help get the votes needed for adoption.  I acknowledge it is never easy to change zoning at Town Meeting though.

Hope this is helpful.  Good luck!

Heidi

E. Heidi Ricci (she/her(s))
Director of Policy and Advocacy