[Massplanners] Abandonment vs. Non Use

Alexandra Lowder ALowder at tewksbury-ma.gov
Wed Oct 5 16:54:23 EDT 2022

Hi all,

Staff has been discussing the abandonment clause in our Zoning Bylaw. Our new Building Commissioner is curious to know if any communities make a distinction between abandonment vs. non use. Our bylaw is written as follows:

[cid:image001.png at 01D8D8DB.1DA994C0]

The Building Commissioner noted Bartlett v. Lakeville Zoning Board of Appeals (1986) where the definitions of abandonment and non use were separated, each being defined with different thresholds. He feels that the way ours is currently written above, with a definition of abandonment in our definitions section and the lack of definition for non use, that they were probably meant to be interchangeable.

I am still doing some research into the genesis of this clause in our bylaw, but I was curious to know how other communities view this issue. Do you use the terms interchangeably or do you have separate definitions and thresholds for proof of both?

Any input is appreciated!

Thank you,
Alex

Alexandra Lowder