[Massplanners] Personnel Bylaws

robert leavens rtleavemware at gmail.com
Tue May 3 12:14:49 EDT 2022

Good Afternoon,

I am wondering if any communities have personnel bylaws that include a
provision or guidelines on how volunteer board and commission members treat
their paid staff.  This seems to be an ongoing issue, where board or
commission members want to dictate what they would like their staff to do
but often the staff has to report to the town manager, assistant town
manager and/or comply with certain laws that a board or commission may not
understand or want to understand.

Then there is bullying, which would not be tolerated in a staff setting but
somehow is more accepted in the situation of a volunteer board or
commission directing a staff person. Bullying can take place on a regular
basis, depending on the board or commission and the project.

I know that in various meetings on personnel issues, attorneys presenting
the personnel policies noted that communities should have a protocol or
policy on the behavior of volunteer boards and commissions toward their
staff.

Has any community adopted such policies or protocols and, if so, could you
direct me to the language?

Thank you,

Betsy Ware
Planning Consultant