[Massplanners] Public property reuse

Ethan Parsons ethanp at ipswichma.gov
Tue Mar 29 08:49:21 EDT 2022

Ipswich is kicking off public property reuse projects for the to-be-vacated police and central fire stations when the public safety departments move into a new combined public safety facility in a few years. We're doing this work in-house for now. We're at an early stage with this work and are not ready to solicit bids for anything. We've not even decided if that's something that we're interested in doing.  We're interested in the decision-making process that others have gone through when considering potential reuse ideas and specifically would like to gather examples of scoring/ranking matrices for potential reuse ideas. The reuse committee is aware of many ideas for the properties and would like to have a system for scoring and ranking the ideas to help narrow down its focus. To help clarify my question further, our thinking is that said scoring system would include considerations such as:

-          Financial costs and benefits (including of disposing of the properties and retaining them for various potential uses)

-          Affordable housing opportunities

-          Environmental costs and benefits

We're also interested in public property reuse studies and in particular for generally comparable properties of ¼ acre to 1 acre, in a town center, whether developed or not.

Many thanks,

Ethan Parsons, AICP
Director of Planning and Development
Town of Ipswich, MA