[Massplanners] Street/crosswalk stencils/paint

Angela Cleveland clevelanda at amesburyma.gov
Fri Mar 11 10:26:13 EST 2022

Hello Gwen,

The City of Amesbury used Shared Streets funding to repaint our crosswalks last year. It was a great partnership with our Cultural Council and local artists. It was so successful that America Walks did a blog<https://americawalks.org/crosswalk-art-for-street-safety-and-community-building-5-tips-to-keep-in-mind/> on it which will be a great resource for you, especially the video at the end of it that showcases a set of stencils that were used.

For paint:

  *   Sherwin Williams Traffic Paint<https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/setfast-waterborne-traffic-marking-paint-acrylic-latex?itemCatentryId=18741>, came in a handful of base colors. Our artists mixed them to create custom colors.
  *   Grit Paint<https://www.amazon.com/Non-Slip-Textured-Slip-Commercial-Residential/dp/B00CLUZJAI?th=1>, clear coat added after crosswalks were done (it is crazy expensive)
  *   We didn’t use this but I’m curious about it<https://slipdoctors.com/products/rubber-non-skid-paint-additive> – a grip additive you can add directly to paint

For materials:

  *   The artists custom made their stencils, so that varied. Having accurate measurements for the design space is really important. At least one artist brought stencils that weren’t sized appropriately and she ended up needing to free-hand the design.
  *   Definitely recommend buying brushes / rollers that will be trashed after (so go cheap). They get really torn up on the asphalt.

I hope this helps! Have fun!
Angie

Angela J. Cleveland, AICP
Director, Community & Economic Development
City of Amesbury
Clevelanda at amesburyma.gov