[Massplanners] Climate Planning and Implementation Question...

Eric Smith esmith at townofathol.org
Tue Mar 1 09:36:57 EST 2022

Hello MassPlanners:

The Town of Athol is working on a Municipal Decarbonization Plan, which is being designed to meet the Commonwealth's goals in their recent 2050 Decarbonization Roadmap that calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 45% by 2030 and 85% by 2050.

We have a new member on our local Energy Committee. He's extremely passionate about reducing Carbon (C) emissions and wishes to see the Town reduce C emissions further and on a quicker timeframe than the Commonwealth's goals.   He's also interested in a Bylaw approach to codify the reductions.

I wanted to see any examples of Massachusetts communities who have already adopted a Plan and/or Bylaw with any more specific Carbon reduction targets that are in the MA 2050 Decarbonization Roadmap.   If so, could you please share that info with me?     So far, I do have info from Northampton already.

Thank you!
Eric

Eric R. Smith, AICP

Director of Planning and Development