[Massplanners] Organization of EDCs

Rachel Benson RBenson at wrentham.gov
Wed Jun 29 09:10:26 EDT 2022

Hi Planners!
I am working with our EDC and they have many questions that I cannot quite put my finger on and there does not seem to be a comprehensive guide / resource on the inner workings of EDCs so that is where you all come in. A little background, the Town accepted MGL C. 40, section 8A in 1960, and created a standing committee known as the Economic Development Commission but the group seems to have only been active since the early 2000s. The Wrentham EDC consists of 7 members, they have no budget, and the only staff support is myself.
My questions are as follows:

  *   Can someone elaborate on MGL C. 40, Section 8A? I am most curious about the last sentence in the first paragraph of the section - "The commission may appoint such clerks and other employees as it may require." With the Town accepting this statute, does that mean the EDC can hire its own staff with approval from Town Administrator? How do they pay for advertising and printing of pamphlets, books and maps as described in C40, S 8A?
  *   At what point do EDCs become quasi-governmental agencies similar to what other States have?
  *   Does your EDC have a budget? Do they solicit money/fundraise? How do they manage that money? Does it come in as a gift to the Town or are they operating as a 501c3 on the side?
  *   Do they have a separate website? Who manages that website? Pluses and minuses to having a separate website? I can already name a few but would like to hear from the group.
Thanks in advance and I may follow up with a phone call to those that answer!

Thank you and have a great day!

Rachel Benson
Director of Planning & Economic Development
Planning & Community Development
Town of Wrentham
508-384-5400 x5441
rbenson at wrentham.gov<mailto:rbenson at wrentham.gov>