[Massplanners] Alternate Planning Board Members - guidance on responsibilities

ruralplanningassociates at crocker.com ruralplanningassociates at crocker.com
Tue Jun 7 11:10:37 EDT 2022

Bob and others:

I tended to agree with your expansive home-rule-type interpretation (so did Bob Ritchie), but here’s what we got back from the AG’s office:

“Article 14 – We approve Article 14 from the Shutesbury Annual Town Meeting of June

12, 2021 except for text in the proposed by-law that conflicts with G.L. c. 40A, § 9 because it

authorizes associate planning board members to act on matters other than special permit

applications.

The proposed by-law authorizes the appointment of two associate members of the

planning board to “participate fully in procedures for a special permit, site plan review, or any

other application before the Planning Board, as well as other procedural matters designated by

the chairperson…” (Section 10.4A, Associate Members) (emphasis supplied). We disapprove

and delete the underlined text because it conflicts with G.L. c. 40A, § 9 that authorizes associate

planning board members to serve only when the planning board is reviewing special permits:

Zoning ordinances or by-laws may provide for associate members of a planning

board when a planning board has been designated as a special permit granting

authority.

Section 9, paragraph 11.

Because the statute only authorizes the service of associate planning board members when a

planning board is serving as a special permit granting authority, the Town may not extend the

authorization to review of site plans and other applications, and we disapprove and delete the

underlined text. Apart from the underlined text, the proposed by-law is consistent with the

requirements of G.L. c. 40A, § 9.”

Jeff Lacy

Rural Planning Associates

(413) 230-9693