[Massplanners] Housing Density and Design Review

Wayne Feiden wayne at feiden.org
Fri Jun 3 17:56:26 EDT 2022

In Northampton, starting 20 years ago, the redevelopment of the Northampton State Hospital certainly became much easier when we put strong design standards in our zoning.

Last year, design standards for two family homes helped pave the acceptance of two family homes all formerly single family home zoning districts.

Carolyn Misch oversaw the recent creation, with a consultant, of form based codes adopted a couple of months ago downtown and in a second village (Florence) with the hope that this will make density more acceptable, but no project has gone through the process yet so we can’t evaluate that success for a while.

Wayne Feiden

Forgive typos.  This from my small phone.