[Massplanners] Building and Zoning Applications filed for work signed by architect deceased for over a year

Dan Fortier dfortier at town.dennis.ma.us
Mon Jan 24 10:39:34 EST 2022

Okay, I have been around the block a few times, but, I have never had to deal with this one before.  I have just received a set of architectural drawings as part of a request for a variance that were signed by an architect in 2019. The Architect passed in 2020.  Has anyone ever dealt with this? Not sure the variance will have any legs, but, if it were to get support, are the plans any good? Or do we need them redrawn by someone with a valid license?  Will the Building Department need them drawn by a valid license holder?

The Building Commissioner did tell the applicant that he had little chance of getting what he wants, he wants to more than double the size of his house and be allowed to exceed lot coverage in doing so (creating a new non-conformity). He says it would be too expensive to cut about 200 sf off of the 1800 sf addition to meet lot coverage, but I wonder if it is the fact he has to hire a new architect and start over.

Thoughts?

Daniel J. Fortier, AICP
Town Planner
Dennis Planning Department
685 Route 134
South Dennis MA 02660
Phone 508-760-6119
dfortier at town.dennis.ma.us

This electronic message is confidential and intended for the named recipient only. Any dissemination, disclosure or distribution of the contents of this communication is unlawful and prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by return email or telephone and delete the copy you received. Thank you.