[Massplanners] Require testing for contamination?

Tom Devine tdevine at Salem.com
Thu Feb 3 16:30:44 EST 2022

Hello Planners,

I am wondering if any communities, through their Planning Board or other land use permitting body, require that developers test for contamination prior to construction. If a project in Salem is on a site with a known industrial history, the Planning Board and Conservation Commission expect some explanation of how bad materials will be handled and may include related conditions in their permits. But I am wondering if any communities have a standard requirement, such as through a policy or ordinance/bylaw, for soil testing for all construction projects.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Best,
Tom

Tom Devine, AICP | Senior Planner
City of Salem Department of Planning & Community Development
98 Washington St., 2nd Floor | Salem, MA 01970
978-619-5685 | tdevine at salem.com<mailto:tdevine at salem.com>