[Massplanners] Geothermal Wells & Zoning

Sarah Raposa medfield.planner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:50:45 EDT 2022

Hi all - I was just chatting with the BoH admin about our first ZBA
application for a geothermal well at a property in our aquifer protection
district . She mentioned that a local well driller has over 200
applications in Medfield for geothermal wells. Evidently there are huge
incentives for them. We sent the application to our peer reviewer for
technical review but with so many to be installed, it got me wondering:

   - How do other towns permit geothermal wells in general?
   - How do you permit such wells under your aquifer/groundwater protection
   zoning?

Thanks,
Sarah

Sarah Raposa, AICP