[Massplanners] [EXTERNAL] Planning board minutes

Michael McCarthy Michael.McCarthy at newbedford-ma.gov
Wed Aug 3 13:35:52 EDT 2022

Hi Al,

Directly from the state's open meeting guidance: "While the minutes must include a summary of the discussions on each subject, a
transcript is not required." Here's the guide: https://www.mass.gov/doc/open-meeting-law-guide-and-educational-materials-0/download#:~:text=The%20Open%20Meeting%20Law%20requires,good%20cause%20for%20further%20delay.

 We have a professional stenographer do all our minutes for the Planning Board. She keeps them very broad. Often, she winnows down 15-20 minutes of discussion to a simple sentence that identifies the topic of discussion and the ultimate outcome. For example: "The Board and the applicant discussed site circulation and agreed that additional pavement markings would be necessary for pedestrian safety." Each page includes a disclaimer that these are minutes and the full audio is available online to review.

Here's an example from our November meeting, which was about 4 hour long: https://s3.amazonaws.com/newbedford-ma/wp-content/uploads/sites/46/20220407123537/11_PB-Minutes_November-10-2021.pdf.

Mike McCarthy
Asst. City Planner
New Bedford