[Massplanners] Research on Missing Middle: Seeking Examples

Amy Dain dainresearch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 15:49:13 EDT 2022

Hi planners --

I am working on a report on missing middle housing and the MBTA Communities
zoning law for the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy. My report is due in
June, before the final guidelines will be out, so I am looking a
the big-picture concept of the new law, and not at the specific
requirements (how many acres, what zoned capacities, etc.) that might be
(or should be) in the final guidelines for implementation.

As you know, the new law calls for local rezoning, covering a "reasonable
area" (probably more than single parcels), for predictable (as-of-right)
permitting of infill (areas which are generally developed and subdivided),
missing middle housing (up to, and perhaps more than, 15 units per acre),
near transit, without restrictions against families or by age.

***I am looking for examples of "missing middle" infill *development near
transit and walkable centers that has happened in Greater Boston in recent
years. By "missing middle" I mean two-family houses, triplexes, townhouse
developments, small multi-family buildings, small mixed-use buildings. They
do not need to be a particular density, but I will look up how many units
per acre they are. I am in particular interested in examples of incremental
increases in density (and less interested in a new two-family house
replacing a decaying two-family house.)

I am also interested in how the projects were permitted. Were they allowed
as-of-right? By special permit? Any special hoops the landowner had to go
through to get to project approval?

Addresses will be helpful, as I would like to get some photos, and also
look up lot sizes and possibly the zoning.

If you have any examples to send my way, please do!! For municipalities
that keep spreadsheets of approved projects, I would love to see them!

Thank you so much.

Have a nice weekend!!

Amy Dain
Dain Research