[Massplanners] "grandfathering" and "brown bag lunch"

Dwight Merriam dwightmerriam at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 14:38:05 EDT 2021

Good afternoon.

This conversation prompts me to share something I learned a few years ago
from Connecticut Supreme Court Chief Justice Robinson, before he was CJ,
when he met with our Bar Association's DIversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Committee and we talked about the term "brown bag lunches" in the context
of discussing microaggressions and implicit bias.

It led me to read about the history of colorism, of which I knew little.

"Brown bag" connotes discrimination based on color.  As a consequence, I
don't use the term brown bag lunch ...just as easy to say "BYOL"  - Bring
Your Own Lunch -  or other something else.

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-colorism-2834952
<https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/theres-more-seattle-brown-bag-racial-controversy-meets-eye-flna6c10836263>

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/theres-more-seattle-brown-bag
-racial-controversy-meets-eye-flna6c10836263

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/question/2014/february.htm

https://www.nccj.org/colorism-0

Regards,
Dwight