[Massplanners] Planning Board Questions

Joseph Laydon jlaydon at littletonma.org
Tue Sep 21 08:52:01 EDT 2021

Hello Kathy.  Hope all is well in Northborough!

When I was in Grafton, we created a Submission schedule to provide applicants with advance notice on when material was to be submitted.  This was not only for new projects but also for ongoing projects.  See the link below.

https://www.grafton-ma.gov/sites/g/files/vyhlif4461/f/uploads/2021_submission_schedule_2.pdf

We did run into situations that material on new applications (primarily responses to Peer Review) were not submitted in time and the Applicant requested a continuation of the 1st public hearing and the Board granted that request.  No new abutter notification occurred, and we opened and continued the hearing.

For Applications that were submitted, I would review for completeness and notify the Board and Town Clerk of determining them incomplete.  If push came to shove, and they were not responsive to supplying information, I informed them that the board would then reject the application as incomplete.

For continued hearings, if material was not submitted, applicants knew what the process was and would request a continuation if material could not be submitted in time.  Having the deadline really did help set expectations of the Board and took the pressure off staff.

Regarding enforcement, I worked really closely with the Building Inspector (really for all towns I have worked in) to make sure that what was submitted and approved to building was what we approved.  We did not have non-criminal disposition in Grafton, but the threat of not getting a CO brought people into compliance.

Good luck.

Sincerely

Joe

Joseph Laydon