[Massplanners] Elected Board - proof of residency

Rebekah Cornell rdecourcey at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:21:45 EDT 2021

My dearest planners,

I have one for you all that has been a problem for the West Brookfield
Planning Board for nearly a year. We have a member that stopped showing up
to meetings last October. It's an elected position and the only solution
seems to be a recall election. This would cost the town money we don't
have. Alas,  after months  of hoping to receive a resignation letter I
think we are at this last resort.

I come to you with a few facts: They have sold their home in town. There is
no other property listed under their name in town. The rumor is that they
have moved out of town, and this seems to be confirmed by several different
people. Someone visited them yesterday (about this topic) but they refused
to answer the door.

1. How can we prove they have moved out of town? They are still registered
to vote at their old address.
2. Can a PB member file the recall petition, or does it need to be someone
outside the Board?
3. When you had your proof, where do you bring it for action on the
residency? Town Clerk?

The Selectboard and Town Counsel have stated they will not help. Town Clerk
office is also not so helpful.

If there is a window when the absent PB member is not living in town and it
can be proved -- I would like to take advantage of that. We have an
interested party that is ready to be appointed to the seat. And we're
broke. It would be an ideal solution.

Your wisdom and experience is appreciate.

Thank you,

Rebekah L. Cornell

(formerly DeCourcey)
16 Ridge Road
W. Brookfield, MA
603-391-8653

Chair, W. Brookfield Planning Board
Conservation Administrator/Planner, South Hadley