[Massplanners] Outdoor Dining Process & Oversight Questions

Bernard Cahill bcahill at shrewsburyma.gov
Fri Sep 10 15:43:49 EDT 2021

Good afternoon Planning Community,

There were not too many responses to my earlier inquiry, but I have
received a few requests to share the results and the approach that we
decided to take in Shrewsbury toward outdoor dining.

In the end, Shrewsbury decided to borrow Hudson's overall approach for
review and approval of outdoor dining. We are proposing a zoning article
for our Fall Special Town Meeting that would amend the Use Table to allow
for outdoor dining by-right, but would indicate that outdoor dining would
still be subject to approval by the Selectmen. If the Zoning Article is
approved, the Planning and Building Departments would introduce an outdoor
dining application form with a list of the required information and
documents for review and approval by different departments, also similar to
how Hudson currently operates.

For anyone interested, the draft Zoning Article for outdoor dining can be
found on our website:
https://shrewsburyma.gov/636/Planning-Economic-Development

Have a good weekend everyone!

*Bernard Cahill*