[Massplanners] Working Paper on Zoning Approval Processes

Amy Dain dainresearch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 11:49:31 EDT 2021

Hi Mass Planners:

I had the opportunity to write a working paper for the Lincoln Institute of
Land Policy on the zoning approval process for multi-family housing:

https://www.lincolninst.edu/publications/working-papers/reformers-guidebook-zonings-knots

This is a topic I have been thinking about for years, as it has puzzled me.
I wanted to write the kind of paper that I had wanted to read when I got
started on zoning research. As I began writing, I realized this was a
harder assignment than I had expected! This topic has so many layers,
legal, political, strategic, etc. So, I am glad this is a "working paper" -
I welcome your feedback.

The intended audience for the paper is the non-expert who would like to
take on zoning reform, for example legislative aides at the State House,
city councilors, enthusiastic YIMBY activists, planning students, etc. I
tried to make it accessible, readable for the non-expert.

Thank you for all of the work you do and the insights many of you have
shared with me.

Amy Dain
Dain Research
Newton, MA