[Massplanners] OSRP Costs?

Nate Kelly nkelly at horsleywitten.com
Thu Oct 7 12:52:41 EDT 2021

Hi all,

We have seen price ranges between $20 and $40K, with the variability due to the scope. The more typical cost recently has been about $25K for a complete plan that meets the requirements of the state guidance (not including the ADA Self-Assessment). Things to consider when pricing:

  *   Do I already have a complete plan that is being updated or are we starting fresh? If we have a plan, are there electronic files (e.g., MSWord, etc.) that we can start with? If the answer to these questions is “yes,” then you can save a lot of effort (and related costs). If not, you might want to square this away “in house” before hiring someone.
  *   How’s my inventory of existing open space properties? Section 5 of the plan can be VERY time consuming if your data are not in good shape. The good news is, once it’s done, it’s a great resource and easily updated. Take a moment to read what the state requires for the inventory and compare it with what you have. This can have a significant impact on effort/cost.
  *   Will the scope include the ADA self-assessment? Will we be asking the consultant to do this and do we have a general sense of how many properties need to be assessed?
  *   At the end of the process, there are some loose ends that might be handled locally. For example, helping to address comments from the state or going to various boards for letters of support. This could be an opportunity to shave off some cost.
  *   What are the expectations around community engagement? A community-wide survey, virtual forums, on-line open house, and appearance at a variety of events/meetings is typical. If this does not sound like enough engagement for your community, then you’ll need to budget accordingly.
  *   What sort of support services should I have during engagement (e.g., translation, meeting interpretation, etc.)? This can be super important and could add costs if not already built into your “community meeting infrastructure.”

Good luck!!
Nate

Nathan Kelly, AICP | Principal
(he/him/his)
Horsley Witten Group, Inc.
55 Dorrance Street, Suite 200 | Providence, RI 02903
Office: 401-272-1717

[hwg-logo-round text]<http://www.horsleywitten.com/>