[Massplanners] Battery Energy Storage Facilities

Michael Zehner michael.zehner at bgllc.net
Mon Nov 29 11:39:38 EST 2021

Hello Walter,
We have been using the following definitions recently for communities that we have been working with:

"Battery Energy Storage Facilities" One or more battery cells for storing electrical energy in a Battery Energy Storage System ("BESS") with a Battery Management System ("BMS").

"Battery Energy Storage System (BESS)" A physical container providing secondary containment to battery cells that is equipped with cooling, ventilation, fire suppression, and a Battery Management System.

"Battery Management System (BMS)" An electronic regulator that manages a Battery Energy Storage System by monitoring individual battery module voltages and temperatures, container temperature and humidity, off-gassing of combustible gas, fire, ground fault and DC surge, and door access and capable of shutting down the system before operating outside safe parameters.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Zehner, AICP, ENV SP
Environmental Programs Director