[Massplanners] Town of Pepperell Planning Position

Elizabeth Ware eware at dracutma.gov
Tue Jun 29 09:45:39 EDT 2021

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the job ad.  If I know of someone, I’ll forward them the advertisement.

It seems like there should be a little wiggle room on the AICP certification.  I know that there are two schools of thought on the designation.  Some feel emphatically that any planner should aspire to secure the designation.  Back in the late 1990s I took the test and secured the designation, however over the next five to six years, I found that it did nothing for my career but did require a substantial financial commitment per year to pay dues and fees.  Eventually, I let my designation lapse as I did not feel it was benefiting me.  I’ve never renewed it and have never regretted not renewing. I keep my planning skills current through various workshops and keep my ethics to a high standard.

Given that the Pepperell job is for a new or slightly seasoned planner, it seems to me that the mandatory requirement will eliminate some really good planners who are just starting or who have several years in their careers.

Dracut recently advertised for a economic development project planner and we’ve gotten a scattering of resumes, none of whom are really qualified.  We’re offering a decent pay, no AICP requirement and still, not a good response.  I know that Beverly Woods at NMCOG has had some challenges with hiring as well.

I’m just offering this comment given our issues with hiring and my experience with AICP.  I hope that if someone with a wonderful resume and skillset but without the designation applies, that you’d give them a shot!

Stay cool.  Today is a hot one!

Betsy Ware

Director of Community Development
Town of Dracut, MA.