[Massplanners] Updating my email

Bill Nemser bnemser at TownofMaynard.net
Mon Jul 26 16:30:55 EDT 2021

Hello Planners,

We have a situation in Maynard where abutters have asked the Planning Board to require ongoing monitoring of truck delivery noise. This is for a large project in process.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Better yet, samples of a Special Permit with language to require sound monitoring for a situation like this?

  *   The Town has no noise by-laws. We defer to MASS DEP standards
  *   Town staff has no resources or expertese to conduct sound studies.
  *   The Applicant is balking at the idea of (potentially) permanently paying for sound studies.
  *   It is very difficult to rely on Town or DEP Code Enforcement in this case because by the time an enforcement officer gets to the site, usually the sound has stopped.
So in reality, Town Hall is going to end up enforcing whatever is contained in the Special Permit. Because of the situation laid out above it is going to be tough.

I would love to find a solution that gives the abutters a level of security if there is excessive truck noise, but that also would be pragmatic for the Town to enforce.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Bill

Bill Nemser, AICP, LEED AP
Planning Director
Office of Municipal Services
Town of Maynard
195 Main Street<x-apple-data-detectors://0/0>
Maynard, Ma. 01754<x-apple-data-detectors://0/0>
(978) 897-1302<tel:(978)%20897-1302>