[Massplanners] Downtown wayfinding & signage consultants

Betsy Loring betsy at exploringexhibits.com
Tue Aug 31 15:43:28 EDT 2021

Hi Gil,

What you're looking for is an exhibit planner/designer; the sort of folks
who develop and design interpretive signs, kiosks, and exhibits for
museums, zoos, national parks, botanical gardens, etc. If you hire a
designer without this experience, you'll probably end up with
"books-on-signs" which are not effective.

Fortunately, Massachusetts has a lot of firms that do this sort of work and
do it well. Some are 1-3 person shops and some are quite large. I'd suggest
a firm that has experience in interpretive planning and design for
historical sites. One place to start looking is the New England
Museum Association's marketplace page
<https://nemanet.org/resources/nema-marketplace/> and look under "Exhibit
design" and "Traveling Exhibits". That said, the current categories for the
vendors are not well aligned with the actual work people do, so the
listings aren't easy to assess.

If you want help reviewing the listings to come up with a short list, I
would be happy to chat and walk you through some things to think about.
(Full disclosure - I do this sort of work, but focused on science content,
so I've got no skin in the game.)

Betsy

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 12:26 PM Gil Hilario via MassPlanners <
massplanners at masscptc.org> wrote:

> Hi MassPlanners,
>
> We are interested in having themed historic wayfinding and signage at our
> downtown. The idea is to have a consultant design a theme and possible
> standards for signage e.g., a downtown specific street sign standard, as
> well as a public or committee process to choose such designs. Does anyone
> know of any consultants who work on this kind of stuff and have positive
> experiences?
>
> Thank you,
>
> *Gil Hilario *
>
> Town Planner